With onset of summer, digestive problems are common. Many people suffer due to decreased appetite, repeated bouts of diarrhoea, indigestion and dehydration but these avoidable hassles can be dealt with using a few simple suggestions.
These are 5 tips are easily remembered from A to E:
- A- Avoid fried food: As fried stuff has high oil content, it induces thirst and is difficult to digest causing excessive bloating, discomfort and intolerance to heat. These problems can be reduced by decreasing intake of fried foodstuff. Air-frying if available is better as it reduces oil intake significantly.
- B- Better safe than sorry: Since summer is the peak time of food related illness, it is best to avoid eating form roadside vendors or places with poor hygiene. Food borne infections, diarrhoea, dysentery and hepatitis (A, E) are commonly transmitted but are preventable if adequate precautions are taken.
- C- Cold storage: High temperature allows bacteria to multiple rapidly if food isn’t stored in a cold place. It may lead to bacterial overgrowth, food poisoning, vomiting and other digestive problems. Salad dressings, ketchup, jams and semi pickled foods stored at room temperature deteriorate rapidly and must be kept in refrigerator. Perishable foods should not be kept at room temperature for longer than a few hours.
- D- Drink more: Since excess heat induces thirst, one needs to always respond to this physiological need by having more fluids, juices, buttermilk and cold beverages. Fresh fruit juice is the best way to stay fit and healthy. Drinking more water helps replenish our body by rehydration, regulates body temperature and dispels excess heat. Since sweating makes us lose body water, it is of utmost importance that one stays properly hydrated.
- E-Eat less: As hot environment makes our digestive system prone to indigestion it is best to avoid eating more. One should prefer bulky foods which satisfy hunger and are easily digested like green vegetables and fresh fruits. To improve digestion and replenish vital electrolytes, one needs essential herbs and spices like coriander, fennel, cilantro and cumin in summer diet which help to keep our gastrointestinal system working at its best.